Acne is the most common skin disease in the world, affecting 80% of adolescents, along with a small proportion of adults. For this reason, it is often overlooked as nothing more than growing pains. However, while some youths suffer from nothing more than a few pimples, others have major outbreaks that cover the entire face. There is, of course, a whole spectrum between, and the condition can lead to low self-esteem, permanent scarring, and pain. Research into CBD oil for acne indicates that the compound may provide a solution far superior common treatment options.
The problem with acne treatment
Although acne is incredibly common, there are few treatment options that guarantee success. The most effective acne treatment currently on the market is isotretinoin. Originally marketed as accutane, generics on the market replaced the well-known treatment after a lot of controversy.
Accutane and its generics come with severe risks. It can cause birth defects if used when pregnant, and has been linked to major depression leading to suicide. Furthermore, before it gets better, accutane makes the condition even worse, and can exacerbate the effects for those with mild acne. While the acne will eventually disappear, it will likely leave scarring, and the process will be marked with dry skin and peeling, and can lead to many other complications.
What causes acne?
To understand how CBD oil can help in the treatment of acne, we must briefly discuss the causes of the condition.
Acne is caused by the overproduction of sebum, which is a common side-effect of hormones released during puberty. Sebum is an oily substance excreted by the sebaceous glands to create waterproofing of the skin.
CBD and the production of sebum
CBD has been shown to inhibit the production of sebum. This is because the endocannabinoid system regulates sebaceous gland function. Research indicates that CBD oil works to prevent and treat acne, whether ingested or applied as a topical treatment.
CBD: few side effects
Importantly, CBD has few side effects, and none that are nearly as harsh as those caused by accutane and its generics. While accutane can cause irreparable damage, CBD will at worst lead to drowsiness and low blood pressure. And it may well not lead to even those minor side effects.
Using CBD for acne
Acne is incredibly common, especially for adolescents, but should not be taken lightly. It harms self-esteem, making it difficult for youths to socialize, and can lead to isolation, anxiety, and depression. If not treated properly, it can leave permanent scarring.
It can be particularly troubling for adults as well, as it is seen as a teenage condition.
For these reasons, treatment of acne is important.
CBD provides a treatment that has no major side effects, and will not lessen your quality of life. It is safe to use, and has many other benefits as well.
Ranking the Best CBD Oils for Acne
If you suffer from acne, you may think that putting oil of any kind on your face is the last thing in the world you’d want to do. After all, it’s well known that an excess of sebum- the skin’s natural oil- is the prime cause of acne. And folks with oily skin types- and attendant large pores- tend to be more acne-prone. Oil buildup in pores leads to pimples. So if oil is the enemy, how can oil be the solution? Though it may sound counter intuitive, both scientific study and anecdotal evidencesupport the idea that CBD oil can be an effective treatment for acne.
CBD oil has been shown in multiple studies to naturally and effectively curb inflammation and balance irregular hormones, two top causes of acne. CBD oil also provides powerful anxiety relief, which can prevent stress-related breakouts. But the most potent way CBD oil prevents acne is by inhibiting the production of sebum. Unlike many conventional treatments, CBD oil is natural, free from harsh chemicals or toxins, and (apart from infrequently reported drowsiness) has no side effects. In fact, high-quality CBD oil products tend to include an array of beneficial vitamins, antioxidants and skin-smoothing agents. CBD oil can fight acne directly when topically applied, or help to prevent breakouts when ingested.
If you’ve decided to give this natural and effective treatment a try, you’re likely wondering which are the best CBD oils for acne? In choosing the best CBD oils, there are many factors to consider, including sourcing, purity, and range of topical or oral CBD oil products available, as well as the range of therapeutic dosages. In addition, many companies include extracts from the whole plant and additional acne-fighting agents, such as calendula (which soothes irritation), tea tree oil (which repels bacteria), neem oil (which inhibits sebum), and jojoba (which enhances the skin’s barrier). We’ve done the footwork so you don’t have to. Our ranking of the 10 best CBD oils for acne ranks the leading products for this condition, based on careful evaluation of each of these categories. Read up on the best options on the market in CBD oil for acne, and you’ll be clear and balanced in no time.
Range of Products Score (1/5)
- Beginner Dosage Score: the lowest dosage available in this brand’s product
- Experienced Dosage Score: the highest dosage available in this brand’s product
- Delivery Method Score: the number of distinct delivery methods of CBD oil products
Cannabinoid Variant Score (1/5)
- The range of documented cannabinoids in the brand’s products. Often achieved through different distillation methods or extraction methods utilizing the whole hemp plant.
Product Purity Score (1/5)
- Measure of extraction method, whether a brand’s products are certified organic, and quality control testing employed by each brand.
Sourcing Score (1/5)
- Measure of location hemp is sourced from as it relates to environmental toxins and greater cannabinoid density. Additionally, a measure of the number of chemicals used in the production of the hemp (if any).
Health Issue-Specific Factors (1/5)
- The brand’s range of delivery methods that are particularly well suited for aiding the medical issue at hand. In the case of using CBD Oil for acne, topical applications target oil production and irritation on the skin’s surface, while oral preparations may be used in tandem to address the hormonal imbalances and stress that lead to breakouts.
- The brand’s range of additional herbs, vitamins, minerals, and carrier devices that are known to aid the medical issue at hand. In the case of acne, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and skin-soothing botanicals such as calendula and chamomile may be added to CBD oil preparations to enhance the product’s therapeutic effect.
Other resources and links
- The safety and efficacy of 3% Cannabis seeds extract cream for reduction of human cheek skin sebum and erythema content
- CBD as a Treatment for Acne?
- CBD exerts sebostatic and antiinflammatory effects on human sebocytes
- The endocannabinoid system of the skin in health and disease
- Endocannabinoids enhance lipid synthesis and apoptosis of human sebocytes via cannabinoid receptor-2-mediated signaling
- Endocannabinoid signaling and epidermal differentiation
- Differential effectiveness of selected non-psychotropic phytocannabinoids on human sebocyte functions