CBD oil is used by some to address issues with depression. It is commonly reported that CBD helps lessen the effects of depression and makes people who use it feel happier.
The fastest form of CBD oil to use for treating depression is vape. The CBD gets into your bloodestream faster, lowers anxiety and improves mood almost immediately.
The best form for long term, sustained relief from depression is the oral tincture taken as a daily supplement (taken both in the morning and mid to late afternoon).
Depression is an exceedingly common health issue, and the lasting effects that it has in a person’s life can be devastating. Depression is very serious; it can make it difficult for those who have it to hold down a job, hard to do the bare minimum in taking care of themselves, and quite frankly, hard to survive.
On average, there are about 3 to 4 million people battling some form of depression every day in the United States. Depression makes it difficult to participate in your life, and it takes a surprising toll on the body as well. It can lead to insomnia, a weakened immune system, headaches, and fatigue.
Effects of Chronic Depression
Chronic depression, especially when left untreated, shrinks the hippocampus. That is the area of your brain responsible for storing memories and processing emotions. This can have lasting effects like increased memory problems over time and a decreased ability to experience emotion. This can be treated, though. There are some medications on the market that help with this, and CBD oil has shown evidence of promoting neurogenesis. This can help reverse the damage of depression to the hippocampus, and also means amazing things in the medical world surrounding certain brain conditions.
Treatment for Depression
Thankfully, depression can be treated. Psychotherapy is often the first line of defense, but most people with a form of depression end up taking medication. Medicine is incredible, and we have no doubt that it has saved many lives; but, we know from experience some of the problems that can arise with long term use of antidepressants.
Serotonergic medications, like SSRIs, can lead to weight gain, insomnia, and severe sexual dysfunction. In addition, some patients have noted that their medicine seems to lose efficacy over time; this is especially frustrating because of the time and effort that goes into finding one that suits their individual needs. What truly causes depression is still being studied, but there are many things we know can help to treat it. CBD oil is one of those treatments; it has recently emerged and become a topic of conversation among clinicians, doctors, psychiatrists, and researchers.
Exercise, nutrition, and having a steady support system will always be vital keys in releasing your brain from the literal cage of depression, but CBD oil makes for a great addition to your arsenal. A variety of studies have shown it to be a viable solution in the treatment of depression.
Cannabidiol is a compound found in the cannabis plant that has been recently rocking the medical world because of its many health benefits. As early as 2014, a study was conducted and went on to show that subjects treated with CBD oil had fewer instances of depression and anxiety.
CBD Oil for Depression
CBD oil works similarly to a SSRI in its interaction with the brain. It blocks the production of serotonin to make sure that the brain is using it in the synaptic space, instead of it getting wasted. When the brain can properly use this vital neurotransmitter, you will experience a more stable mode, reduced stress, and more.
Your body also has what is called an endocannabinoid system. When this system is not working properly, functions in the body like sleep patterns, moods, energy levels, and eating habits can all be affected. CBD oil interacts directly with the endocannabinoid system to restore that balance.
The primary way that you would take CBD oil for the treatment of depression is orally. You can purchase capsules, or tinctures to do this. Capsules you would take like any other pill. Tinctures, though, you can put a few drops in your mouth and allow them to absorb before swallowing or add a few drops to your food or drink. The downside to this method is that accurate dosing is difficult because of what is called the first-pass effect. Some of the drug is going to be lost before it reaches your circulatory system, which means you may see less or slower benefits. The way to avoid this, and the second way that you can use CBD oil for depression, is by vaping.
When you vape CBD oil, you use a vaporizer or vape pen device, much like an e-cig. It warms the CBD oil, forming a vapor that you inhale. Taking CBD oil in this fashion allows it to enter your bloodstream immediately. You will see the fastest results with vaping, and because it is so direct, the dosing is the most accurate as well.
Taking care of yourself inside and out is always important, and when you have depression, we know that can be difficult. CBD oil is a great treatment avenue for you to explore.
How Does CBD Oil Improve Mood?
Grappling with anxiety, depression and other mood disorders can be incredibly difficult, and some people who struggle with these issues find themselves asking, “Does CBD oil improve mood?” It’s no secret that finding an effective treatment for mood disorders can be very challenging. Now, there is growing evidence that suggests CBD oil, which is also known as cannabidiol oil, can provide another option for doctors and patients working to manage mood issues.
CBD Oil and Cannabis
As you begin explore the possibility of improving your mood with CBD oil, it’s only natural to wonder what CBD oil is and where it comes from. To do that, you will need to learn a bit about cannabis, a herbaceous annual has several possible uses. It can be transformed into a diverse assortment of products, including CBD oil, recreational and medical cannabis, and hemp fibers, seeds and oils. In fact, CBD is just one of more than 80 compounds found in the cannabis plant. These compounds are called cannabinoids, and each has a unique effect.
CBD Oil and Health
Medical researchers are extremely interested in the potential use of CBD oil to improve mood and treat various other health problems. According to Medical News Today, CBD is not psychoactive, so its use will not produce a high, but it may be able to help in the treatment of a wide array of conditions, including epilepsy, addiction, pain, cancer, diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, neuropsychiatric disorders and mood disorders. It also tends to be well-tolerated by most people; the National Center for Biotechnology Information reports that doses up to 600 mg can generally be taken without triggering psychotic symptoms or other unpleasant side effects.
Improving Mood With CBD Oil
How does CBD oil work to treat anxiety, depression and other mood disorders? It seems that this particular cannabinoid has several qualities that scientists believe might play a role in the compound’s ability to improve mood. As Mental Health Daily explains, CBD is:
- An anti-inflammatory. Inflammation is recognized as a factor in a wide range of health troubles, so it is unsurprising that neuroinflammation is linked with neuropsychiatric and mood disorders. Studies demonstrate that CBD improves mood, anxiety and cognitive function by reducing this neuroinflammation.
- A neuroprotective. CBD may protect brain health; insufficient oxygenation often results in damage or death of brain cells, but evidence suggests that CBD can act as a preventative, preserving brain cells.
- An antipsychotic. While researchers do not fully understand the mechanisms behind CBD’s antipsychotic properties, one theory points to the indirect modulation of dopaminergic transmission.
- Supportive of hippocampal neurogenesis. Some scientists believe that hippocampal neurogenesis, the growth of new neurons in the brain’s hippocampus, helps to moderate mood disorders. Research demonstrates that CBD causes hippocampal neurogenesis in animals, and it is thought to have the same effect in humans.
- A mild antidepressant. When looking at mood disorders and CBD oil, it is worth noting that CBD is thought to enhance mood and function as a mild depressant. While the effect is not strong enough to make this a viable treatment for severe depression, it might be considered as an adjunctive therapy.
- Good at relieving pain. Being in pain hurts more than the body. Chronic pain is strongly associated with depression, anxiety and other mood issues. Thankfully, CBD oil can provide welcome relief because it is effective in reducing pain.
- Beneficial for sleep. Sleep is often underrated, but it is a critical component of wellness. Unfortunately, individuals with mood disorders often find quality sleep elusive. Making a bad situation worse, insomnia can trigger anxiety and low mood. CBD may offer a way to break this cruel cycle. It has been shown to improve sleep quality and restore normal REM sleep.
Advantages of Using CBD to Improve Mood
Many medications intended to help combat a problem come with unpleasant side effects. For example, many anxiolytics, drugs intended to combat anxiety, are known to carry a risk for drowsiness, brain fog, memory troubles and sexual dysfunction. For individuals dealing with mood disorders, CBD oil is an appealing alternative because it presents no significant side effects when compared to a placebo. CBD oil also acts quickly, improving the mood of a person who takes it appropriately almost instantly, so it can be taken on an as-needed basis. In addition, it seems to be a safe choice; most research indicates that a quality CBD oil used correctly is as safe as a placebo. Finally, there is reason to believe that this potent product can boost immune function, reduce muscle spasms, control blood sugar, and fight the growth of cancer cells and bacteria. Frankly, improving your mood with CBD oil might also improve your overall health.
Could CBD oil be a good choice for you? Thanks to growing interest from both the medical community and the general public, an impressive number of products are now available. If you’re interested in trying CBD oil, consider talking with your doctor or another health care professional and be sure to choose a quality product from a reputable source. If it works well for you, you may find that your focus shifts from concerns like does CBD oil improve mood to queries about why you waited to try it.
Other resources and links
- Endocannabinoid system dysfunction in mood and related disorders
- Antidepressant-Like and Anxiolytic-Like Effects of CBD
- The endocannabinoid system and the treatment of mood and anxiety disorders
- Endocannabinoid signaling in the etiology and treatment of major depressive illness
- Antidepressant-like effects of cannabidiol in mice: Possible involvement of 5-HT1A receptors
- Putative role of endocannabinoid signaling in the etiology of depression and actions of antidepressants
- Antidepressant-like effect of delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol and other cannabinoids isolated from Cannabis sativa
- Circulating endocannabinoids and N-acyl ethanolamines are differentially regulated in major depression and following exposure to social stress
- Serum contents of endocannabinoids are correlated with blood pressure in depressed women
- The therapeutic potential of the endocannabinoid system for the development of a novel class of antidepressants
- Antidepressants and Changes in Concentration of Endocannabinoids and N-Acylethanolamines in Rat Brain Structures
- Cannabidiol induces rapid-acting antidepressant-like effects and enhances cortical 5-HT/glutamate neurotransmission: role of 5-HT1A receptors
- Prohedonic Effect of CBD in a Rat Model of Depression
- Antidepressant-like and anxiolytic-like effects of CBD